Thursday, June 30, 2011

Deep Listening

In our weekly meetings for the Beatitudes Society, the Bay area fellows gather either in downtown San Francisco, at the Regeneration Project, or at First Congregational Church in Berkeley. For me, these weekly gatherings have been refreshing; the other Fellows and their insights have provided me with new perspectives and ideas with which to approach my own work here at the Ignatian Solidarity Network. In a recent meeting, we spoke about deep listening – how such a practice would aid us in our time with one another. I have to admit that it is a practice that over the past few years I have consciously attempted to inculcate in my life, but still find to be a challenge. I was struck this time around by this practice as I began to consider how the initial work of constructing a network among Jesuit parishes requires this practice.


As I reflect on this practice further, I realize that good organizing, good theology and good leadership find a basis in deep listening. True dialogue and conversation hinge upon it; any form of government or administration becomes more or less representative of the desires of persons and the common good in direct proportion with its ability to listen to the needs of all (as much as this is possible). Particularly in the situation I am dealing with, this network only gains momentum by being a project arising from the needs of the people it serves. And for this to work, deep listening must take in what these folks are saying.


This is all a bit pedantic, but it is a lesson so carelessly ignored by much of the Church these days. I think that lip service (or is it ear service…?) is given to the notion of listening to someone, but listening is an active practice. In fact, I think the initial listening is only the first step; what follows requires attention as well.


During most of my phone interviews, I’ve developed the habit of listening to someone’s idea and then repeating it back, shaped up and packaged so that it is recognizable as the person’s own idea, but maybe put a different way. And I ask for validation of these statements: is this what you mean? A couple of years going to spiritual direction have ingrained such a habit into my own questioning and listening! From this moment of understanding what the person is saying, I take notes and then begin to find parallels with others I’ve talked to, consider new points, and continue to construct an idea of what to propose for a concept of the network. The end goal is to offer something that both mirrors what people desire and presents something new to consider.


And of course, in order for the network to continue past its inception, deep listening must continue from ISN’s perspective – as the facilitator – and among those who are in the network. Solidarity and mutual learning will only arise from this fundamental practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment